Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rated G Shower Story


There is a music festival I used to attend in Willmar, Minnesota several years ago that hosts about 20,000 teenagers. The first time I went, I heard that it gets a little crazy on site, so I booked a campsite a few miles from the civic center. It was a great camping resort with kayaks, bicycles, etc… We all loved it. The shower was a small out-house type structure in the middle of the campground with exactly one toilet and one shower stall. Since there wasn't a lock on the door, I wasn't sure what would happen if anyone else in the campground had to use the bathroom, so I hurried in and started the water.

About the time I got my hair sudsed up, I heard a step behind me in the stall. I was already a little concerned about someone coming into the shower shack, so I jumped a little and looked around, but I didn't see anything or anyone, so I continued with my shower. Again I heard something like someone stepping in a puddle right behind me. I looked around more carefully this time and saw there was a HUGE ugly frog sitting right behind my heels. This thing was the size of a small chicken, and the stall was the size of a typical stand up shower stall. I resisted the urge to scream loudly. I was afraid of what the frog might do if I scared him, so instead I invented a nice little scream-song that went something like "help, help, help, omg, there's a frog taking a bath in here. Why me, God?"

Now since I was in the shower, I couldn't just run out the door, although I had to force myself to resist this natural tendency. I did a little hopping dance, kept my screaming down to squeaking with my little sing-song type prayer and expedited my shower. I was proud of my self-control. At some point during all of this the frog slipped out of the shower and back under the rock he called home.

Now it may seem like I don't like wild critters very well, especially after you read this story. I actually love being out in God's creation, and watching things in the wild is something I take great pleasure in, but as much as I like to be at one with nature, I don't very much appreciate the critters returning the favor.

Yes, the truth is I have a double standard. I can visit them, but I don't like it when they come to visit me. Maybe you read my story about my squirrel-house squatter. He was a lot of fun to watch in the tree by the deck, but I didn't care for him in my bathtub. I couldn't help but laugh when I realized he is not the only critter I know who decided to take a bath inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment